In this article, I will share how to solve Access denied in Windows 10 (Error 0x80070005) while installing the application as well as discussing all the possible reasons that could cause this bug and some workarounds to resolve it. Let’s discuss the problem and its solution in detail.
Access denied (Error 0x80070005) usually occurs when you try to install a new app/program or update the Windows 10 OS. During software installation, the program tries to start a process that you as a user do not have permission to access.
If you are also getting this Access denied Error 0x80070005 message while installing a new program on your computer, here’s how to fix it with the following tips and tricks in order.
PS: Make sure to make a complete backup beforehand of all the important files and folders on your computer.
1. Restart your PC
Although it doesn’t seem like a solution, restarting your PC can solve this bug. However, make sure to disconnect all USB devices and unplug them. When rebooting your Windows PC, install only Mouse & Keyboard, and try to install the program which previously generated error code 0x80070005. See if this helps. If not, try the next set of solutions.
2. Change File Attributes
If you double-click on the executable file to update Windows or install any program, check the file attributes. This is necessary because often times, files are only marked as read-only and hence you cannot do it.
- Right click on the setup file and select Properties.
- Open tab General and view the current status of the checkbox read-only.
- If it is checked, click once to uncheck it and press OK.
Performing the steps above will make the file ready to mount.
3. Change File Security Settings
It is very possible that the File Security Settings of the setup program are misconfigured. To change it, follow the steps below:
- right click on the file and select
Open tab Security and check whether all permissions are granted for this file or not. If not, press the button Editchange and adjust.
Furthermore, tick the box next to Full control under Permissions for Authenticated Users.
- Press Apply then OK to confirm this change.
4. Use Windows Updates Troubleshooter
Windows Updates Troubleshooter is the best thing to use if you are unable to install new applications or apply pending updates. Here’s how to run the Windows Updates Troubleshooter:
Press ” Windows + X ” on your keyboard to open the Settings interface.
- Choose Update & security > Troubleshoot.
- Jump to the right side and click Additional troubleshooters.
Next, press Windows Update to expand the panel and select Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
Also read: How to Overcome Bad Image Error 0xc0000006 on Windows 10
5. Scan for Virus And Malware
Sometimes, Windows Defender or a third-party antivirus program may also prohibit the installation of new applications on the computer. This is only possible if they detect a suspicious file attached to the .exe file.
To fix it, you have to do a full scan of the entire PC and check if it returns a virus or malware. If this doesn’t help, temporarily turn off Windows Defender or any external antivirus program.
Windows Firewall can also restrict programs from being installed on your device. If so, make sure to turn it off and try installing the update again.
6. Run SFC to fix 0x80070005
SFC is another tool from Windows that can diagnose the entire PC for possible file corruption and missing files. Running this tool will automatically fix the underlying cause. Here’s how to run the system file checker utility program:
- Open Command prompt as Admin on your computer.
- Type sfc/scannow near the flashing cursor and press the button Enter .
This command usually takes 15-20 minutes, so wait patiently.
- Once done, restart your PC to apply the latest changes.
7. Update Windows 10 Manually
If none of the solutions above fixed error 0x80070005, manually updating Windows 10 may fix the issue. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings >Update & Security >Windows Update.
- Go to the right panel and click View Update History.
- On the next screen, note the cumulative update number that failed.
Next, visit Microsoft Update catalog and Scopy/paste CU number.
Select the update that matches your system architecture and press the button
Next, click on the top link to start downloading the latest cumulative update.
After the download is complete, open the folder containing the files settingsand double-click it.
That’s the tutorial on how to solve Access denied Error 0x80070005 when installing applications on Windows 10. Hopefully this article is useful for you, thank you for visiting and don’t forget to share this article with your friends.