With the new development, items in the Windows 10 Start Menu have a right-click context menu. So when you right-click on any of the items pinned to the Start Menu, this context menu appears. It gives you various options depending on the pinned item. Those options include Unpin from Start, Resize, Pin to taskbar, Turn Live Tile off, etc.
Starting Windows 10 Build 17083, you can disable context menu in Windows 10 Start Menu for all users. There are Group Policy and Registry Editor options that allow applying restrictions to the Start Menu, so users won’t be able to open context menus for Start Menu items.
Also read: How to Change the Appearance of the Windows 10 Start Menu
So basically context menu in Windows 10 Start Menu is provided for better user experience. However, in some special environments, such as IT professionals it may be necessary to disable this context menu. They may want to prevent the client from making any modifications to the Start Menu.
Here are 2 ways to disable context menu in Windows 10 Start menu:
1. Disabling Context Menu in Start Menu Using Registry Editor
To disable context menu in Start Menu Using Registry Editor, follow the steps below:
1. Open Registry Editor by typing regedit
in the search field.
2. Then navigate to the following location:
3. In the right pane of Explorer registry key, create
New registry DWORD (REG_DWORD) named
4. Set Value data to 1 to disable the context menu in the Start Menu.
Close Registry Editor, reboot your PC to apply changes.
After the PC reboots, you will find that the context menu in the Start Menu no longer appears.
2. Disabling Context Menu in Start Menu Using Group Policy
To disable context menu in Start Menu Using Group Policy, follow the steps below:
1. In the search field type: Group Policy Editor
to open the Group Policy Editor pane.
2. Once open, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar
3. In the right pane of the Start Menu and Taskbar folder, look for
Disable context menus in the Start Menu. Double click on
policy settings to change the status.
4. In the window policy configurationset policy status to
Enabled and click OK.
Close the Group Policy snap-in for the changes to take effect. If required reboot your PC.
Also read: How to Activate Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) Windows 10 Home Edition
Those are 2 ways to disable context menu in Windows 10 Start menu. Hopefully this tutorial is useful for you. Thank you for visiting and don’t forget to share it with your friends too.